Friday, April 2, 2010

Smash Killer




So there's this hill I love to smash down on my ride home... Nothing too beastly, but it lasts for about a mile or so, leveling out in the middle, then continuing a the grade at the end. If the two stoplights are in cooperation, the entire ride can be a blast.

Yesterday though, I was in a bit of a rush to get home and didn't check my laces. Total noob move. About 25% the way down, I felt my left shoe get tighter and tighter for some strange reason... Turns out, my shoelace got caught up in the pedal and was threatening to cut off the circulation to my left foot. In the process of slowing down, the lace promptly SNAPPED and my super fun bomb down the hill was cut short so I could pull over and fix it.

Lesson of the day: There are a bunch of moving parts on BOTH sides of the chain where your legs are spinning aboout. So don't just worry about your right foot, but check everywhere to make sure there aren't any dangly bits. I got lucky... My brake slowed me down and I have shitty shoe laces that snapped when it got pulled too tight. Lesson learned!

-Mynt

No comments:

Post a Comment